It’s not as easy as you might think to sell everything, quit your jobs and go travel the world. Believe it or not, we have planned for this for almost a year. While we do not have a detailed and strict itinerary, we have saved, set up a budget, planned a theme for our travel and spent quite a bit of time looking at and choosing the best gear for us.
We will continue to add to this page as we travel and determine the best resources and tools that work for us so that we make recommendations.
- How long and how much did you save?
- We planned for the better part of one year. We have been dreaming of doing this ever since Cory sold his business in May of 2013, so our dreaming and saving started well before this past year. Our saving started with deciding not to buy a house in Dallas. We decided to share a car. We decided not to invest in any more work clothes or furniture or other household goods. Bottom line, we didn’t buy stuff we didn’t need.
- What are you bringing with you?
- Cory and I each have a backpack to carry everything we will need for the next 3-5 years. This will contain our main gear like our sleeping bag, tent, cooking kit, hammock, etc. We will provide a detailed packing list in a separate post.
- What is your itinerary?
- On August 8th, 2015 we will leave Dallas and drive west. For the first leg of our trip, we are road-tripping through a selected group of National Parks in the United States. We plan to do as much hiking and camping as we can until late October or early November. Then, we will sell the Mazda 3 aka the “Zoom Zoom” and head down to the Baja or the Mayan Riviera, then Central and South American and on and on. It’s a big world, and we have lots to experience.
- How long will you be gone?
- Cory would say, “until the money runs out.” Realistically, we are planning about 5 years. And, we are definitely open to opportunities that could extend this timeframe.
- Will you have insurance?
- This is something we have researched quite a bit. The short answer is yes, we will have travel insurance. There are a lot of different options and we are finalizing the best and most affordable option.
- What will you do when you come back?
- That is a great question. We hope that we figure that out while traveling!
These seem to be the most popular questions we have been asked. If you have others, please ask away! We are happy to answer any question and provide any recommendations we can.